Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, commonly referred to as Rutgers University, Rutgers, or RU, is an American public research university and the largest institution for higher education in New Jersey in the United States.
Originally chartered as Queen’s College on 10 November 1766, Rutgers is the eighth-oldest college in the United States and one of the nine “Colonial Colleges” founded before the American Revolution. The college was renamed Rutgers College in 1825in honor of Colonel Henry Rutgers (1745–1830), a New York City landowner, philanthropist and former military officer, whose generous donation to the school allowed it reopen after years of financial difficulty.
- Rutgers has four campuses: the New Brunswick Campus located in the city of New Brunswick and adjacent Piscataway Township, both the Newark Campus and the Rutgers Health Science Campus in Newark, and the Camden Campus in Camden.
- More than 65,000 students from all 50 states and more than 115 countries—including 45,059 undergraduates and 20,267 graduate students—choose Rutgers for their education.
- More than 24,400 faculties and staffs.
- Nearly 450,000 alumni—with about two-thirds in New Jersey—live and work in all 50 states and on six continents.
- 33 schools and colleges bring rigor and creativity to academic study, with the arts and sciences at the core of our academic excellence
- Students activities: Greek Involvement Fair, Spring Involvement Fair, Annual Masquerade Ball, Change-makers Week, Mark Conference, etc.
- Student club: Actuarial Club, ALPFA New Brunswick, Animation and Illustration Club, etc.
- Other supports: international students are supported fully with the university supporting services, including health care, career counseling, etc.
- SUPPORTING SERVICES
- Health service: Rutgers Health Services, Student Health Insurance Plan, Counseling and Psychological Services
- Career Services: Rutgers Career Centers can help students and alumni develop career plans, explore graduate school, and find internships or full-time jobs.
- Bookstores: Order books online, sell, rent, or resell textbooks. Get Rutgers apparel and merchandise, and browse a wide selection of accessories and gifts.
- Libraries: more than two dozen library centers and reading rooms across the campuses.
- Computer Labs: Computers labs are open many hours each week, including evenings, late nights and weekends.
- International Students: Rutgers offers many avenues of support for international students
- On-campus accommodation: Apartment, suite and Traditional Residence Hall
- Off-campus accommodation: There are a number of off-campus student accommodation providers that offer long term student accommodation. Some of these also offer temporary accommodation. The university provides tips and information about off-campus living including understanding leases, security deposits, and rental responsibilities.
- Buses and shuttles
- Parking is available in all of the university buildings and campuses.
- Rutgers Dining Services
- Dining Halls/Menus
- Eatery options
- RU Express
RU-info: Tel: 732-445-info (4636)