English course(s) is compulsory for students who don’t have an IELTS of at least 6.0 or TOEFL iBT of at least 79 and have resulted from an English Entrance Test (at Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology (HCMUT)) from the level of Elementary/ Foundation to Upper-Intermediate.
The course aims to equip students with Academic English and essential skills for learning at University level. In particular, all four communicative skills, as well as academic skills, will be enhanced:
- Writing: problems analysis and report writing (referencing, citing, summarizing, etc.)
- Speaking: group discussion, idea expression and sharing, presentation (tactics in delivering oral presentation and using body languages, etc.)
- Reading: academic context comprehension, scientific research understanding
- Listening: note-taking skills, academic listening comprehension
The program is divided into two modules:
- IELTS Simulation Module equips students with necessary knowledge and skills to conduct the IELTS exam.
- EAP Module (English for Academic Purpose) focuses on such research skills as Writing, Presentation, Research and Report.
|EAP||Online Q Skills||20%|
|Overscore = 0.3 EAP + 0.7 IELTS|
Total duration: 220 hours
- 5 days per week: from Monday to Friday, Septerber – December.
- 4 hours per day: Morning shift (7.15 AM – 11.30 AM) & Afternoon shift (12.45 PM – 17.00 PM)
Students are expected to achieve the following learning outcomes after English course(s) in the Pre-University:
- Final Grade of IELTS Simulation 6.0 Band is at least 5.5*
- EAP research paper** on a topic of students’ choice (together with the topic presentation in front of class) satisfies requirements as informed.*According to statistics over the years, students whose entry level are Foundation/ Elementary & Pre-Intermediate need study at least 02 courses of English to achieve the outcome.
**Length of EAP research paper: at least 350 words for students at Foundation/ Elementary level; at least 800 words for Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-intermediate level.
|1||07:15 – 09:15||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|2||09:30 – 11:30||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|3||12:45 – 14:45||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|4||15:00 – 17:00||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|Extra hours||Flexible ( ~ 2 hours per day), studying with Teaching Assistant or Self-study.|