As a student, you often have to write essays, scientific research reports, emails, and later, you will have to write a resume. As much frequent as students practice, writing is always one of the difficult experiences for many students. Therefore, practicing writing is a must thing to do. So how to have good writing easily, express your views as well as specify the topics you want to write? Try to apply the following tips to improve your writing skills!
1. HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE GOOD WRITING?
Firstly, this is the skill that you will use most in learning such as writing projects, reports and it will play a big role in your future career such as writing CV, job application, contract, etc.
Secondly, when you use a good writing language, it helps to develop logical thinking. Also, the ability to present clearly in writing helps readers understand the meaning of your writing more easily. The way you write also shows your knowledge and a part of your personality.
2. SKILLS NEEDED TO IMPROVE YOUR WRITING
- Set sentences that are simple, short, easy to read and understand. Read again what you have written and try to keep it short, which will help you avoid using a bunch of redundant words. Thus, your writing will be concise, easier to understand.
- Avoid cramming too many abbreviations, using jargon or slang. Instead, pay attention to grammar and spelling in the article. There is a saying “Even the storm is not as devastating as Vietnamese grammar” (which means Vietnamese grammar is very complicated). So it is very important to write the grammar correctly because when you write something just a little differently, it will have a totally different meaning.
- Do not use repetitive sentences because it can be confusing to the readers and make the paper too simple and boring.
- Try imitating the style of your favorite writers and authors. But one thing to remember: imitation is different from plagiarism. Remember to include the source, the author’s name if you use them in your paper.
- Outline, edit, simplify, and improve your paper. These are the basic steps for you to start writing, helping you fully present the information you want to mention in the paper.
- Analyze what you have read. Writing down how you feel about a book, summarizing the content on a topic you’re researching will also help you memorize better.
- Read and just read different documents. This not only helps you obtain a broad source of knowledge on diverse topics but also learn a variety of writing styles, diversifying your own writing styles.
- Attending workshops, clubs, and writing groups is an opportunity for you to learn, interact with a variety of people, and diversify your writing style. Writing and giving it to your friends to read and comment on will help you detect spelling errors, redundant words. You learn by detecting errors and improving it will bring significant benefits.
- Write something every day. This can be as simple as writing your own diary, narrating what you went through during the day is a way to help you have good recollection skills and develop your writing ability. Even in a broader way, you can write about other topics on personal pages such as Facebook, Instagram, Blog, etc. The more you write, the more likely your writing will be significantly improved. So don’t be afraid to write and share them.
- Carry out a profound study on the topic you need to write. To write about a topic, report, or thesis, you should take the time to learn about the topic you are researching. When you clearly understand the content of your work, framing the post will smoothen your writing flow.